Call the Midwife
How To Reach Your Midwives
For Non-Urgent Matters:
- Athena – Patient Portal
We strongly suggest using the Patient Portal for a timely response regarding non-urgent medical questions (you can view lab results, schedule appointments, etc.).
When sending your message, select “Midwifery” under Provider.
- Call Us: Regular office phone hours are 8:30am to 4:00pm Monday – Friday.
You can call us directly at (949) 829-5500 option 2 or (949) 268-2211
– Please note: If a voicemail message is left, it is only checked during the phone hours above.
For URGENT Issues (such as any warning signs, below, or if you think/know you are in LABOR): ** ALWAYS CALL: (949) 829-5500 **
- During office phone hours (Mon-Fri 8:30am-4pm): Choose option 1 (“Midwives”) to be connected to a midwife.
- After-Hours (4:00pm -8:30 am & weekends/holidays): The night exchange service will automatically answer, take a message, and connect you to the midwife on call.
*** If you have an urgent matter and are having difficulty getting ahold of a midwife in a timely manner, please call Mission Hospital L&D directly: (949) 365-2141 ***
— IF YOU ARE HAVING A TRUE MEDICAL EMERGENCY * PLEASE CALL 911 —
WHEN to “Call the Midwife”: Warning Signs to report Immediately:
- When you feel very strong contractions every 3-5 minutes for at least one-hour if this is your first baby, or every 5-7 minutes if this not your first baby.
- Experience heavy, bright red vaginal bleeding (if more than spotting which can be common and usually not concerning especially after sex or a cervical exam)
- Gush or flow (may even be small trickles but repetitive) of water from your vagina
- Any hard falls especially if your belly is hit or any other belly trauma
- High fever: above 101 degrees
- Severe abdominal (stomach) or shoulder pain with or without vomiting
- Notice a marked decrease in fetal movements
** Both your and baby’s well-being are our priority! Do not hesitate to call at any time for emergencies INCLUDING LABOR and any warning signs above (or other worrisome symptoms that cannot wait). **