Please review the following pre-treatment instructions to ensure you are adequately prepared for your sclerotherapy session at Orange Coast Women’s Medical Group. 1 Week Prior to Treatment
- Avoid blood thinning substances and supplements or medications such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, vitamin E and omega-3s to decrease risk of bruising or bleeding.
- Purchase medical-grade compression stockings for your treatment to optimize results. We recommend 20-30 mm Hg which can be purchased at your local pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens). You will need to bring the stockings with you to each visit.
- Do not use bronzers or tanning lotions on your legs.
The Day of Treatment
- Shower the morning of the treatment (do not shave your legs the morning of sclerotherapy).
- Do not use body lotion, oils or self-tanners the day of treatment.
- Bring loose-fitting shorts to wear during the procedure.
- Bring your medical-grade compression stockings to be worn home (compression of legs will accelerate healing, reduce swelling & bruising). The injections will not be done if you do not bring the stockings with you on the day of treatment.
- Eat a light meal or snack 90 minute before treatment.
After treatment, compression bandages or stockings are placed on the legs to prevent the formation of blood clots; these should be worn continuously for the 36 hours following treatment. Walking is encouraged after treatment—you should walk immediately following your session and incorporate walks into your daily routine for the following week. Strenuous activity, in addition to long periods of sedentary activity, should be avoided in the first week following your sclerotherapy session.
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING TREATMENT
- Wear compression stockings continually for 36 hours after the procedure (day and night).
- Continue to wear compression stockings during the day for the next 7 days (put stocking on the morning before you get out of bed and take off just before going to bed).
- Avoid strenuous physical activity including high-impact aerobics, running and weight lifting for 72 hours.
- Avoid blood thinning medications (see pre-treatment instructions) for 48 hours.
- Avoid warm baths, hot tubes and saunas for one week.
- Avoid flying for one week.
- Do not expose treated area to sun, tanning bed or self-tanners (this may lead to post-operative pigment changes) for one month after treatment.
- Walking is very important after your sclerotherapy. We recommend taking a 30 minute walk at least two times a day for the next seven days.
- May resume usual activity one week after treatment.
- Expect to have mild pain, bruising, tenderness and swelling at the injection site for the first 24 hours after treatment. Use ice-packs and Tylenol for pain relief.
- Often times, the veins will look worse after treatment before they look better. The discoloration typically fades in 2-3 weeks.
- Occasionally, when treating larger vessels, a small dark and lump “knot” may develop due to entrapment of blood in the closed vessel (which is a normal response to the treatment). This will be evacuated by the physician at the time of your next treatment session if necessary.
It is important to closely follow the aftercare instructions provided to you by the Orange Coast Women’s Medical Group team. If you experience significant pain, redness, swelling, crusting or bleeding, call the office at 949-829-5500.